Thursday 13 October 2011

Nine Up Sushi


This past weekend we had a chance to go Nine Up Sushi to have lunch over at this brand new restaurant.  Located in a new plaza just north of Finch Avenue on Midland Avenue, we were able to find out about this place from an advertisement that was placed in a local magazine. 

Upon entering the establishment, it appeared to be pretty full.  We noticed right away the sushi and sashimi conveyor belt where people who choose to take advantage of the All You Can Eat Buffet can just reach over at their table and grab whatever they want.  Since we were not overly hungry we opted instead for individual meals. 

Pork Chops and Noodle
I decided to go with a fried pork chop and noodle combination.  My wife ordered the sushi and ribs bento box combination. 

Sushi and ribs bento box

My noodle arrived first.  My egg noodles also had broccoli, carrots and mushroom.  The pork chops came on a separate plate.  The noodles were very bland.  I have to admit, the soup was tasteless and the pork chops were quite chewy.  I actually had a hard time eating the noodles.  In the end, I had to steal some food from my wife’s bento box in order to fill my stomach although that too was a little difficult to stomach as well.  Needless to say I didn’t finish my lunch. 

The beef ribs were juicy tasting and fell off the bones quite easily. That was the good part.  The sushi however was very mushy.  One thing I hate about eating sushi is the mushiness.  The entire sushi felt wet and soggy and there was not a whole lot of taste to it despite what was in it. The tempura too was a little soggy tasting.  There was no crunch to it at all. 

Looking back, I am thankful we didn’t go with the all you can eat buffet because it certainly might have been a waste of money.  There was certainly plenty of free parking since half the stores have not opened as of yet.  The total price was about ten dollars per person with drinks included.  This restaurant may be called Nine Up however after having this lunch, it was certainly more like Nine Down.  This restaurant certainly has a long way to go if it wants to be a top notch sushi restaurant.  For this one I give this a generous 2 out of 5.  

3278 Midland Ave
Toronto, ON M1S 3M1
Neighbourhood:
Scarborough
(416) 754-9333

No comments:

Post a Comment