Tuesday 4 November 2014

Green Tea Lounge

My wife and I were cruising though J-Town in Markham when we noticed a brand new restaurant that had opened up in that area.  Seeing that it was fairly new and it was a little quiet on a Friday afternoon, my wife and I decided to go have a look and have lunch at that restaurant.

We got there around one o'clock in the afternoon and I'm guessing most people had already had their lunch and had already gone back to their offices. When we went in, we noticed that it had a deck of cards theme where there cards taped to the walls and suits of cards scattered all over the floor.  Seeing that it was Halloween, the staff was even all dressed up for the occasion which I thought was pretty cool.

They had a special lunch menu which had a couple of interesting combinations so we decided to give it a go.  I went with the Soba and Curry Chicken and Rice ($10.80) while my wife went with the Tempura Udon.  ($10.80)

Soba and Curry Chicken and Rice
After ten minutes or so, our meals arrived.  The Soba and Curry Chicken and Rice looked pretty good in value in that there were two rather large bowls of items.  The Curry Chicken covered half my plate while the other half was a solid bowl of rice.  The Soba on the other hand was immersed in a bowl of  soup where a large piece of mushroom and a couple of fish slices were also present in it.  The curry was nice and thick and had a good curry coconut taste and spice to it.  There were about three pieces of chicken and plenty of potatoes.  I really liked the fact that it was very filling which almost had me in trouble in finishing the soba.  The curry was delicious and one that I had thoroughly enjoyed.  The Soba was also very good however my only drawback was that the soup was a tiny bit bland despite the dark color of the soup.  A tad bit more salt, chicken stock or miso soup flavoring would have helped.  It was still however was a great compliment to the curry chicken rice and a meal that I liked as a whole.  There was also a small bowl of garnish that appeared to be turnips that unfortunately I did not get around to but was also included in the meal.

Tempura Udon
My wife had the Tempura Udon and in comparison, hers was not as large as mine in size.  The udon, according to my wife, was delicious as the noodles were smooth and thick and blended well with the miso soup base.  The two pieces of shrimp tempura was served on a separate dish so that it was not soggy when it arrived at the table.Also present were what appeared to be a couple of pieces of croquette.  The mashed potatoes and meat mixture taste good and had a smooth texture on the inside and was thinly fried on the outside.

Overall for ten dollars  I thought the Soba and Curry Chicken and Rice was good bang for the buck.  I think if my wife's Tempura Udon had a couple more extra pieces of tempura in it then I think it too would have been worth the money.  If I didn't have my own meal to compare, then I would not have had any issues at all however seeing how big my dishes were and that how much smaller my wife's were, I thought mine was probably better value wise.  Taste wise, both meals were pretty good and as I said, the dishes satisfied all of our hungry spots.  As I said, the soup base was just a tad bland and that was pretty much my only complain of the day.  Neither meals came with a drink so drinks were extra.  I certainly would give it a try again one day and would like to give some of their other meals a go.  Overall I give my experience a 4 out of 5. 


Green Tea Lounge
3160 Steeles Avenue East Unit 118
Markham, Ontario

905.470.0758

No comments:

Post a Comment