Thursday 22 August 2013

Legend Chinese Restaurant


Legend Chinese Restaurant is a place I have not eaten in quite some time.  This place I believe was renovated not so long ago as the décor actually looked quite different from the last time I was here.  We were over there on the weekend to have dim sum on a Sunday morning.  There was a line up going in however we were able to get seats up on the front stage almost immediately.

When we sat down, they gave us two pieces of paper which had all of their food listed on them.  You will have to check off the dim sums that you want to eat and they will bring them to your table for you. Taking a peak at their prices, small medium and large dim sums will go from $2.75, $3.75 and $4.75 respectively.

Shrimp Dumplings
We ordered the usual shrimp dumplings, siu mais, rice noodle rolls, fried turnip cake etc to get a little bit of everything from this place.  Rather than bore you with every little dim sum that I ate, I will just give you a summarized version of it and what I thought was the best and worse of the dim sums.  Overall, I thought all the dim sums were pretty well done.  None of the dim sums we ordered were excessively oily or greasy.  Even some of the fried dishes that the turnip cakes and fried meat pastry (Ham Soi Gok) were very “smooth” and there was not a hint of major grease in them.  It was almost like they took a piece of paper towel and soaked up all the oil before serving it to us.  It actually made the meal more enjoyable because one would not feel bloated from eating some of the more oily dishes. 

Beef Rice Noodle Rolls
My personal favorite was their BBQ buns.  The ones I’m talking about were not the white ones inside the steamer but the ones that were served on a plate.  At first, I thought they gave us the wrong dish because looks wise, they looked like mini pineapple buns.  Although some of my friends there that day had had them before, I have never eaten BBQ pork buns with pineapple bun covering on top.  It was actually very delicious as the top was sweet and crunchy and contrasted very well with the BBQ pork inside the bun.  I actually liked it so much I almost ate all the buns on the dish. 

XO Sauce Fried Turnips
The most disappointing dim sum of the day had to be the fried turnip with XO sauce.  I was expecting this dish to just blow me away.  Instead the only thing I could taste was just turnips.  They came in cubes and we gently fried on the outside however there was no other taste to it.  You could not even taste a hint of XO sauce in them.  Needless to say I was a little disappointed with this “special dish” as it was a little bit more expensive than a regular dim sum dish. 

BBQ Buns
Despite the setback, the majority of the dishes were well prepared and pretty decent to say the least.  The only other issue we had was the amount of time it took for them to bring us our sweet tofu pudding.  They had forgotten the dish and after reminding one waiter and 2 managers, it finally arrived at our table….almost 30 minutes later.  With a lineup building at the door, you might think that a bit of urgency would have been suggested to the chefs in the back.  However, when it did arrive, the pudding was very smooth and “slippery” and of course delicious. 

One should give them a try one day as it is one of the better dim sum places that are out there.  It is true that the prices of their dim sums are somewhat higher than the average price at some of their competitors but truthfully, the quality of their food does match up to their pricing.  Give a go and let me know what you think.  Overall, I give them a 4 out of 5. 

Legend Chinese Restaurant
5 Glen Cameron Road
Markham, Ontario

905-882-6272

No comments:

Post a Comment