Wednesday 7 August 2013

Le Cafe Michi



I actually thought I had blogged about this place a long, long time ago however after checking out all the restaurants I had been to in the past 18 months I realized that I had not, which was somewhat of a shocker because this was a place I frequented quite a bit as they provided in my mind some of the best Japanese dishes in Toronto.  Le Café Michi is located on the southwest corner of Pharmacy Avenue and Sheppard Avenue East.  You would never have guessed that a very good Japanese restaurant existed there but as I have mentioned many times before, sometimes the best restaurants in the world are located in some of the most tiniest or obscure locations and this one was no different. 
Chyo Chin Bento - Deep Fried Chicken
Although I have had dinner at this place many times before, this was actually the first time I had lunch at this restaurant.  I got there around 11:15am however the place didn’t opened their doors until 11:30.  When we got in, and we were the first ones to step through their doors, we can see that 75% of the tables had already been reserved.  Due to the size of this restaurant and its growing popularity, it might be best to make reservations ahead of time.
Chyo Chin Bento - Assorted Sashimi
Although their menu was 8 pages long, I usually only have their usual Chyo Chin Bento dish as I think it’s one of their best in the world.  That afternoon I decided to go with a Salmon Teriyaki lunch and offered up the Bento to my friend instead. 

Chyo Chin Bento - Eel Rice
When the food arrived and I saw his Chyo Chin Bento, I have to admit there was a slight regret before me.  The meal itself is a three-dish meal.  The first tier contained the deep fried chicken, followed by a bowl of nicely cut, fresh thick slices of sashimi and the last tier was a bowl of eel rice.  One also had the opportunity to choose a dessert free of charge from their huge display case after their meal.  The great thing about their chicken was that it was served with a spicy mayonnaise sauce which when served hot, it really made the chicken jump on you.  Unlike most of the other deep fried chickens we eat from fast food restaurants, this one wasn’t dripping in fat or oil which made this a wonderful dish to have.  My friend said the sashimi was pretty fresh.  There were only six slices of fish as the slabs were quite thick.  The fish they served included tuna, hamachi and salmon.  The eel rice in the past was amazing and this time it was no different.  My friend said it was one of the best he had ever had.  With egg, vegetables and seaweed added into this bowl, the mixture of all the ingredients sure kicked it up a notch for this dish. It certainly was the highlight of the meal and no doubt filled up one’s empty stomach. For dessert, he opted for this passion fruit “drink”.  I say drink because it was served in a tall glass.  On the bottom was some sort of passion juice and on top were various fruits including strawberries, black current, kiwis, mangos and melon placed on top of what looked like was whipped cream.  He said it was quite delicious and for a total of $24 dollars, he said it was well worth the price.    

Salmon Teriyaki
I went with the salmon teriyaki instead which was about $16 dollars.  At first glance it looked kind of dry and seeing my friend’s bento, I was really starting to regret my choice but one bite into the salmon and my opinion changed immediately.  The salmon teriyaki was actually very nicely done and the sauce was very, very good.  The salmon was seared nicely on the outside and the inside of the salmon was very soft and juicy.  The soy sauce that the chef used was quite sweet, sweeter than any other salmon teriyaki sauce that I have ever had before and it really enlightened what looked like a very boring dish at first.  I was actually quite impressed with my entire meal.  My only disappointment was that the meal did not come with a dessert but the fish itself was quite satisfying. 

Dessert
Overall, this place is certainly well worth the money.  There was also a miso soup and salad that came with our meals. Price wise I do admit that the entire meal was probably slightly more expensive compared to other Japanese places around Toronto but it certainly was worth it.  Just seeing the number of reservations signs all around me showed me that this place was in great demand.  Of importance, this place is closed on Mondays but is open from Tuesday to Sunday.  If you are in the Scarborough area, do give it a try.  I strongly recommend it, as it is certainly one of my favorites.  Overall I give it a 4.5 out of 5. 

Le Café Michi
1802 Pharmacy Avenue
Toronto Ontario

416 490 9688

No comments:

Post a Comment