Tuesday 12 March 2013

Market Station Asia

The other day we went over to Market Village to pay a visit to Market Station Asia for brunch.  We were able to get a seat right away and were given four menus of food to choose from.  After taking about ten minutes to go through their entire menu, I went with the Tender Beef and Enoki Mushroom Ramen Noodle Soup while my wife went with the Shark Fin Combo Soup with came with Hainanese Rice. 

Tender Beef and Enoki Mushroom Ramen Noodle Soup
After ordering, the waitress came back to me saying that "they were sold on ramen" and that I would have to choose from one of two other types of noodles.  One was udon and was an unknown noodle.  I went with the unknown simply because I always have udon and had absolutely no clue what the unknown was. The meals took about ten minutes to arrive.  During this time, we were also served with small pieces of chicken as an appetizer. 

Hainanese Chicken Rice
The Shark Fin soup arrived first and yes one is correct when saying, don't expect any real "shark fins" in a place like that.  We didn't however I found the soup to be overly salty.  There was no other way to describe it.  The Hainanese Chicken with Rice came shortly afterwards.  The chicken was soft however there were only three pieces of chicken. The pieces of chicken were juicy however the sizes of the chicken were rather large.  If you ever eat larger pieces of chicken, one will know that the meat is not as smooth but rather chewy and this was the case with this meal.  The rice was interesting to say the least.  Most places would have fragrance rice served with this kind of chicken but for this time around, the rice was yellow and was quite dry.

Complimentary Soup
The Tender Beef and Enoki Mushroom Noodle Soup was actually pretty good.  There was also a large mushroom in addition to the enoki. The replacement noodles "looked" like thick rice noodles and in my mind was a suitable replacement even though I would have preferred to have ramen instead.  The soup base was nice and the beef were cooked.  Halfway through, my wife actually wanted my meal instead of hers, so me being me, I did a switch with her.  The meal also came with a complimentary soup and an ice cold drink.  This meal was $8.99 while the shark fin combination was $12.99.

Shark Fin
Overall, I like my noodle soup more based on value.  I've eaten a lot of Hainanese Chicken Rice Dinners and personally I thought that this was satisfactory at best.  For $12.99, I would have expected quality.  The noodle soup I thought was fair and reasonable.  Staff was nice however it took a while for any one of the four waitresses to come get my bill because they were too busy fixing their hair.  My final score would be a 3 out of 5.

Market Station Asia
Unit B59
4390 Steeles Avenue East
Markham, Ontario

905-305-1268

No comments:

Post a Comment