Thursday 8 October 2015

Ravi Soups

I was asked the other day why many of the places I go to happen to be in the East end or downtown Toronto and quite frankly it's where I live and where I frequent the most.  They asked why I'm never in the west end so a few days ago, I did travel over there to check out some west end's best.  One of the places I went into was Ravi Soups on Queen Street West.  I actually had driven past a couple of these restaurants on my way there and some of the back seat drivers were telling me that it was one of the best soup places in the city.  So naturally once I finally got to my final destination, ironically a Ravi Soup Restaurant just happened to be down the road from where I was, so conveniently it was the place to go.

There was plenty of side street parking and when we went in, we could see that there were about 10 tables available.  If one ordered their individual wraps or soups, it would have cost one approximately $8.99 however if you paid $2.00 more, one could get both a wrap and soup.  Naturally, the combo was the way to go so I went and ordered the Curried Lamb wrap and the Porcini Mushroom Wild Rice Bisque. My friends also order a combo and went with the Flank Steak Wrap and Squash Soup.

Flank Steak Wrap and Squash Soup
The squash soup was very tasty and the squash was perfectly pureed so that it was not too watered down and not too thick.  Adding some crispy strips of shallot gave it that garlicky and salty taste to it while also adding an Asian pear gave it a slightly sweet flavor to it.  The yin-yang effect really made this soup stand out and hit every taste bud in the mouth while tasting this wonderful soup.
Curried Lamb Wrap and the Porcini Mushroom Wild Rice Bisque
The meat for the curried lamb was a little dry for me however the taste was there.  I can understand the reasons why it might have been drier than normal because one would not want to eat a soggy wrap if that was the case.  The porcini mushroom wild rice bisque was very well done.  The mushroom was minced into very small pieces and the taste was amazing.  It definitely had all the true tastes of a fresh mushroom soup put together. I also added some black pepper into the soup just for some extra flavor but honestly one probably didn't even need it because it tasted just perfect on its own.
Flank Steak Wrap 
The flank steak wrap was a little bit more juicier than the lamb.  The steak had some green vegetables wrapped around it and had some sort of sauce that made the overall wrap much more juicier.  If I had to choose between the steak and the lamb, I'd probably lean on the steak more.  The aroma was quite evident and the steak tasted great.  

It was probably one of the more pleasant surprises that I have had in quite some time.  Walking into a restaurant on a complete whim and coming out extremely happy with the service and with the overall quality of the food.  Based on my experience here at this Ravi Soup restaurant, I know for sure I would not hesitate to visit some of the other locations if I happened to be driving by.  If you haven't tried this place yet, certainly go in and give it a try.  Overall I give it a 4 out of 5.

Ravi Soups
2424 Dundas Street W
Toronto, Ontario
Phone number(416) 769-7284


No comments:

Post a Comment