Saturday 18 October 2014

Pho 88

A new Pho 88 had opened up recently down in the south end of North York and my family and I were hungry for some rice noodles so it was almost like a perfect match made in heaven.  Pho 88, whose many franchises dot various locations in the city of Toronto, opened up a new one in the northwest side of Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue.

When we step foot, the place was a wee bit quiet as there were only two tables filled.  With a nice long bar table and stool on the left, many big booths on the right and various tables in the centre, this place could easily fill a hundred people.  Mind you the day we went was on a holiday and although it was lunch time, I think most people chose to stay indoors that afternoon. 

We sat down and looked at their menu.  It was pretty much the same menu as all the other Pho 88's in the city of Toronto.  After a couple of minutes, I went with their $8.00 special which was a small Special Pho, Spring Rolls and a soft drink.  One other member in the family ordered a Vermicelli with Pork and Spring Roll which was pretty much similar to what I had ordered except mine was in a soup base. 
Special Pho
When my food arrived, the first thing I said was "I think ordered a small" to the waiter and to his reply " this is a small "  I was a little surprised and how much noodles was in this bowl.  Usually at the other places, there were far fewer amounts of noodles in the bowl but this was quite a bit I have to say.  The Special Pho basically consisted a little bit of everything from tripe, tendons, and war beef.  What really made this noodle soup taste really good was the soup base.  It was well seasoned and enlightened the entire bowl of rice noodles.  With a bit of hot and Hoisin sauce, the entire bowl of rice noodles was a welcome relief for the a very hungry stomach.  The Vermicelli with Pork and Spring Roll was also massive by my standards, so much so, that the person who ate it was so full that almost half of it had to be boxed up and taken home.  She said it too was very tasty and she thoroughly enjoyed the entire bowl of vermicelli.  She too wondered why there was so much but like me, we were certainly not going to complain. 

Vermicelli with Pork and Spring Roll
The spring roll itself was a pretty good as well.  My daughter actually ate three-quarters of it. She said it was really good and with the one nibble that I got a chance to try, I had to concur with her assessment.  The roll was crunchy, the carrots, the meet and vegetables all nice and fresh on the inside and even though there were two pieces of spring roll, there was still a bowl of vinegar to dip your spring roll in . 

Spring Rolls
Overall, I was very happy with the noodles.  The waiter made sure our table was clean before we sat down and kept clearing our table constantly throughout the meal.  There were plenty of parking outside and they have not one but two big screen televisions behind them so that their patrons could keep up to date on the latest news and sports.  It certainly stood out and I would certainly visit the place again somewhere down the road.  Overall I give it a 4.0 out of 5. 

Pho 88
900 Don Mills Road Unit 9, Toronto, ON M3C 1V6
(647) 341-8899

No comments:

Post a Comment