Saturday 16 August 2014

Chinese Halal Restaurant

For many of my friends who are Muslim or who can not eat pork or have a huge craving for lamb, then Chinese Halal Restaurant is the place to be.  The restaurant is located in the north east corner of Leslie Street and Finch Avenue, on the back side of a plaza, just on the inside border of  North York.  As you walk into the restaurant, one gets the feeling of cleanliness, a sense of grandness and a strong odor of lamb meat emulating from the many different types of lamb servings.  

A buddy and I decided to give it a try for lunch one afternoon.  He had been here numerous times and encouraged me to give a try.  Since it was my first time at the restaurant, I passed the menu over to him and asked him to placed the order for the two of us. Between us, we decided to split three dishes.  We went with the Deep Fried Sesame Lamb Chops, the Spicy Lamb Chops and the Hand Made Beef Noodle Soup.

Deep Fried Lamb Chops
The Deep Fried Lamb Chops are one of the few signature dishes that the restaurant has to offer to their guests.  It comes in about 6-7 pieces and the lamb chops are fried nicely and sprinkled with sesame on top.   It also came with a sauce of its own.  I grabbed the meat with one of my chopsticks and I could tell the meat was soft and tender.  The meat themselves were not very fatty and none of the meat looked over fried or burnt.  I sunk my teeth into the meat and it was absolutely delicious.  It was very juicy and I was surprised at how moist the meat was despite it being deep fried. The sauce aided the taste however one really didn't need as the meat alone had provided an abundance of flavor and taste to it.  There was plenty of meat as it was not just all bones being served to you. 

Spicy Lamb Chops
Next to arrive was the Spicy Lamb Chops on a Skewer Stick.  We only ordered two sticks of these things as my friend said the spiciness on the meat had a pretty good kick to it.  Each stick contained about 8 pieces of lamb rolled onto the skewer sticks.  One bite into the first piece and I could tell why my friend only recommended two sticks.  These pieces of lamb were super spicy.   On a scale of 0 to 10, I would have given it a 8.5 on the spiciness scale.   The spiciness does overwhelm the taste of the meat however the taste of the lamb is still there as you get deeper into the meat. This dish will for sure leave an impression on you.

Hand Made Beef Noodle Soup
Last to arrive were the Hand Made Beef Noodle Soup.  This was a basic noodle soup that had about 3 juicy pieces of beef mixed with the noodles.  The soup base was delicious and went well with the noodles. The noodles were wide and soft with every bite.  I was very happy with the noodles as it really helped fill the stomach and complimented well with all the other lamb meat as well.

Overall I was very impress with my first ever visit to this restaurant.  The staff were friendly and the food was brought out promptly.  Everything came as advertised and I will definitely make a second visit in the very near future.  The total price for the three dishes plus gratuity and tax was just over twenty dollars.  There was also plenty of parking in the front and in the back although lunch time could be a little packed.  However still give it a try one day. Overall I give it a 4.25 out of 5.


Chinese Halal Restaurant

101 Ravel Rd, North York, ON M2H 1T1
(416) 498-9800

No comments:

Post a Comment