Tuesday 7 January 2014

Ninja Sushi

Well, first of all happy new year to all my fellow readers.  It's been two years since I've had this blog up and running and I hope to keep on writing for a long, long time.  I hope to see more restaurants this year and try out more exotic and interesting foods across Toronto and its Greater Toronto area and I hope that you do the same as well.  Having said that, let's get on with the show.

I have driven past Ninja Sushi many times before but I have never actually ordered or eaten anything from this place.  The other day as I was surfing on the internet I noticed that a fellow blogger had named it one of the top ten take out sushi places in Toronto.   Having seen that, and the fact that I was looking for a new sushi place to try out, I decided to give it a go.  I gave them a call earlier in the afternoon and told them I needed a small sushi and sashimi tray within the hour and surprisingly they were able to oblige.  Normally most places required at least two to three hours notice however these guys said “yup, no problem.”

For those who have no idea where this place is, it’s actually located in Bamburgh mall in the same plaza island as that of McDonalds.  I got to the place within the hour and noticed that there were only two tables available for eating. The chef told me they were more known for take out which was why they didn’t have as many seats available. 
Salmon Shushi
I got my food and for about 45 pieces or so, the total came out to be a reasonable 35 dollars plus tax. Looking at the tray, it had your usual salmon, tuna, butterfish, white fish, fried shrimp sushi, egg sushi, vegetarian sushi and eel sushi. 

One thing I could tell was that the shrimp was freshly battered as you could smell the aroma coming out of the sealed tray.   The sushi pieces were still warm and many of the fish were nice and soft and really didn’t have any of that frozen texture or taste to it.  As a matter of fact, most of the sushi and sashimi were warm which also added to the notion that most of the fish were quite fresh and had not been kept in storage for a long period of time.  That's usually a sign that turnover is quite frequent here which allows more fresher fish to be served.  

Small Sushi and Sashimi Platter
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprise at the quality of the sushi and the sashimi.  As well, the chef also gave me six extra pieces of salmon sushi in a separate container.  I don’t know if it was bonus or part of the deal as the tray was over flowing with sushi and sashimi already.  If there was one type of sushi that wasn’t as good, it would have to be the shrimp sushi.  The shrimps were a little soft and mushy and didn't seemed as fresh as the rest of the fish.  However, although there was no particular wow factor with the selection of the fish, it was still in my mind, a good deal with good quality fish.

Overall for the price and the amount of fish one gets along with its quality, I thought the place was actually not that bad when compared to some of the other places that I had been to.  Other than the shrimp sushi, everything came as advertised.  One thing of note is that parking in that plaza can be a major headache.  My suggestion is that if you are just going to this sushi place for pick up, it might be wise just to park your car in the church parking lot across the street and then walk across.  It will be much faster, closer and one does not have to wait for an eternity to find a parking spot.  For Ninja Sushi, I give it a 3.75 out of 5. 

Ninja Sushi
395 Bamburgh Cir, Toronto, ON

(416) 756-4904



No comments:

Post a Comment