Tuesday 3 December 2013

Dragon’s Legend



After consuming a large amount of food at a buffet restaurant recently, we decided to test the waters again and try Dragon Legends located in the heart of Markham on the southwest side of Woodbine Avenue and Highway 7.  This restaurant is I believe a sister restaurant of Dragon’s Pearl Restaurant in Toronto as it had recently took over a former banquet hall and transformed it into the buffet restaurant that it is now today.

Yellowtail Sashimi Complimentary Dish
We wouldn’t have known too much of this restaurant or even have known of its existence if it weren’t for the flyers that they were passing out.  They were 15% off the final price flyers and basically came in the mailbox.  The adult price on the weekend for this place was $29.99 while kids under 4 ate for $2.99. 

We made reservations to the restaurant for 6:00pm on a Saturday night and upon our arrival, we were greeted by not one but 5 hostesses at the door.  We were led to our tables and because of our coupon, we were given a complimentary yellow tail sashimi dish for our efforts. 

Sashimi and Sushi
As with any buffet restaurant, it is always difficult to comment on every little thing we had that evening so as my tradition I will focus on the good, the bad and the ugly.  Overall the food itself was surprisingly very good and very fresh.  I’m not too sure whether it was because of the full house they had that evening that allowed for a high turnover or that a lot of their dishes were made fresh, on the spot, right in front of you but many of the food they served in the restaurant was actually quite delicious.

To start off the evening, I actually tried every single piece of sushi and sashimi that they had out on display.  Some items I had either never had before or had maybe once or twice in my lifetime.  The bonito sashimi and the salmon chip were actually 2 somewhat newer things for me to try and both were yummy and tasty.  The bonito fish for those who don’t know comes from a mix tuna and mackerel family of fish and it’s a slightly meatier fish than some of the more traditional fish in the sashimi family.  The salmon chip was also a nice clever dish to make.  A simple salmon sashimi with mayonnaise sauce placed on top of a chip actually made a wonderful snack to have.  The rest of the sushi and sashimi were surprisingly good, partly because all of te fish were quite fresh .  One did not get that stale taste in any of the rolls or in the sashimi that I had tried that evening which was a rarity especially in a buffet style restaurant. 

Peking Duck and Fried Chicken
Two of my favorites of the evening had to have been the freshly grilled A3 steak and the Peking duck wrap.  Both are made fresh right before your eyes and as a result, it made a world of difference when compared to other places that serve the same dish.  The A3 steak was soft, juicy and tender and tasted heavenly while the Peking duck was cut fresh right before your eyes.  I think I alone had about a half dozen Peking duck wraps that evening alone. 

Other notables that evening were the crab legs and the roast beef.  As much as I enjoyed the roast beef, I was surprised to see, or better yet not to see, any prime rib available for the evening.  I was a little surprised not to see it as it is usually a staple in any buffet style restaurant. 

Grilled Salmon, Ribs and Roast Beef
The ugly of the night really had nothing to do with the food at all but with a personal hygiene issue with one of the waiters.  I really hate speaking this way about anyone because it’s not really my style to do so but your waiter is part of your dining experience. Although there were plenty of waiters serving us that evening, one of them unfortunately had a really strong body odor emanating from this person.  It was pretty bad in that every time this individual had come to take our plates away or pour us a glass of water, I would have to hold my breath and stop eating as it was just horrible.  I realize people work hard and that they work up a sweat however if you do and you emanate a certain odor, then an application of a deodorant is really all one really needs.  I know everyone at my table could smell this person and it’s unfortunate that many of this person’s colleagues failed to speak up.

Other than that, it was a pretty good night.  If it was left for me to decide on just the food alone, I would have given it a 4.5 out of 5.  With the waiter issue, they probably lost about a .5 mark on the overall experience.  The place was packed and there were still people lining up to get in around 8:30pm.  We continued to eat on and off till 10:00pm. that evening. Yes we ate for 4 hours that night and they never kicked us out. Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5. 

Dragon’s Legend
25 Lanark Road
Markham, Ontario

905-940-1811

No comments:

Post a Comment