Monday 14 January 2013

Gold Bowl Asian Noodle Soup

Last night I decided to take a shot at a brand new restaurant in Scarborough.  Gold Bowl Asian Noodle Soup just opened up 3 weeks ago in the north east corner of Kennedy Road and Sheppard Avenue.  This place has special discounts for happy hour and serves mostly snacks, ramen and Vietnamese noodles. 

I went with a medium size corn and pork ramen noodle with a cold milk tea.  I got there well before six  just to check out the place, the menu and the staff.  The place quite bright with lots of lights spotlighting down on you.  The menu is simple yet somewhat limited in its number of choices.  The staff were courteous and kept checking up on me every ten minutes to make sure I was okay.  There were about 20 tables inside the restaurant and when the clock struck 6:30, the place was suddenly three quarters filled. 

The noodles arrived shortly after it was ordered.  There were about 4-5 pieces of pork in my bowl, a soft boiled egg, a scattered amount of corn, green onions, seaweed and of course noodles.  The soup base was actually quite nice and not too salty.  A review from another site had mentioned that it was heavy on MSG but the one I had last night was absolutely perfect.  The noodles were perfectly cooked and had a good egg noodle taste to it.  The pork was thin but absorbed all the taste of the noodles and the soup.  Even the iced coffee tasted pretty good. 

Corn and Pork Ramen Noodle Soup
Overall, it was not bad at all.  While I read that some other sites had rated this place with a lower rating, I certainly did not feel that way.  I also order a ramen as a take out for my wife afterwards and she too found it to be pretty good.  My two friends who were with me last night also had no reported problems with their meals.  Parking can be a potential problem even though there is a 4 story parking garage located in the back.  Some people I have spoken to said they would not come by here because the plaza is fairly old and just getting a parking spot is a nightmare.  Although that may be true, that would certain give this new place an unfair shake.  Food wise it was pretty good and if you don't give this place a shot, then I think you might be missing out. I will certainly comeback for more that is for sure. Overall I would give this place a 4 out of 5. 

Gold Bowl Asian Noodle Soup
4002 Sheppard Avenue
Scarborough, Ontario

(647) 351-8768

No comments:

Post a Comment