Monday 14 May 2012

Blue Ocean Cafe


First of all, I would like to give out a special thank you to all of my readers who have followed my blog religiously.  It has been exactly a year since this blog went up and with over 6500 hits I think this has been a success.  Oddly based on the tracking information, readers from all around the world have hit my site and not just those from North America. 

Moving forward, I will continue to try to hit as many different restaurants in the Toronto and GTA area.  There are so many of them and although I am finding myself going back to some of my favorite old ones, with the presence of this blog, I am eager to try something new every week.

This past weekend I had a chance to go to Blue Ocean Cafe which is another one of these Chinese Hong Kong Style Tea cafés. This place was recently renovated and underwent an ownership and name change.  Although I had been to the previous place numerous times, this was actually the first time I have been back to this place since it undergone its changes. 

Hainan Chicken
The interior has been completely revamped.  The new silver sleek walls and blue interior paint really does give you that “blue ocean” feel.  They have a television that advertises many of their specialty dishes.  Today I decided to go with the Hainan Chicken and Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. 

All of the dishes arrived fairly quickly.  The Hainan Chicken had about 8 pieces, 2 pieces of cucumber and the equivalent of one bowl of rice with what appeared to be dried almonds laid out on top.  The chicken also came with its ginger sauce and red pepper vinaigrette sauce.  The chicken was juicy and the skin of the chicken was smooth as silk.  In comparison to Phoenix Restaurant, another place where I had this meal, this chicken was equally if not better than Phoenix.  As well, just those few extra pieces of dried almond flakes enlightened an otherwise bland white rice.  Overall the meal was very good and I was quite please with this dish. 
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
The other dish was the spaghetti and meat sauce dish.  It looked quite simple yet it too was surprisingly good.  It did not have that heavy grease feeling to it, it did not require any parmesan cheese and the spaghetti was perfectly cooked.  I have absolutely not complaints with this dish. 

Overall it was a good beginning.  With a HK style iced tea, this was almost the perfect lunch to have.  Located in Mong Kok shopping plaza in the corner of Highway 7 and Kennedy Road, this place is an excellent place to have breakfast, lunch or a quick dinner.  Price wise, it was about the equivalent of any other HK style cafes.  I give this place a 4.5 out of 5. 

Blue Ocean Café
8392 Kennedy Road
Markham Ontario


905-604-5200

No comments:

Post a Comment