Friday 27 May 2011

Ming's Noodle Cafe

Today's talk will center around a brunch I had a few days ago at Ming's Noodle Cafe.  We were there for a couple of hours as a group of 5 and of course we brought a little one along.  We thought about bringing the stroller in however we have been to this place many times before and we know this place is always crowded.  If you arrive there between eleven to two, be expect to wait.  From Monday to Friday many workers from nearby offices will either walk or drive to the place while on the weekend, many people from nearby churches will venture into the restaurant.

I decided to order the beef brisket noodle soup today.  My wife ordered the beef brisket and tripe noodle soup.  Our friends ordered a club sandwich, a Beef Brisket in Portuguese Style sauce and a curry chicken with rice.  All the meals came with drinks.  Hot drinks were included in the set meal whereas cold drinks needed an extra 75 cents.  Meals ranged from $4.25 each to $6.45.

As with all Chinese meals, the meals all arrived quickly although at separate times.  Despite a full house at the restaurant, the food arrived within ten minutes.

The beef brisket was very nicely done.  For those who like juicy, somewhat fatty brisket beef, this was the place to be.  Some places I have been to have the beef to be lean and quite stiff to eat while others have just been plain fat.  Here the pieces are a little bit of both.  The meat was soft and tender just to my liking. I usually will put some hot oil sauce in my noodle to spice things up a little bit. 

Beef Brisket in Noodle Soup
I also had a chance to try the restaurant's BLT club sandwich.  Here at this restaurant , they provide a slight twist to their club sandwich.which includes a scrambled egg and ham in the middle in addition to the bacon, lettuce and tomato.  There were 4 large pieces along with fries on the side.  I apologize but I am not an egg eater so I removed the egg from the sandwich.  The sandwich was not bad at all.  The addition of the ham did not alter the taste of a regular BLT all that much.

SET Club Sandwich
As for the curry chicken, it was decent as per our friend's son who ate it.  I wanted to sample it however you can see the size of the curry chicken bowl was quite small.  I have to admit compared to some of the other places I have eaten for a similar meal, the size proportion certainly was definitely much bigger than what was served that day.

Curry Chicken and Rice

Beef Brisket in Portuguese Style
In contrast, the Beef Brisket ala Portuguese style was certainly much larger and comparing to the price of the curry chicken  it was even 2 dollars cheaper!! The sauce was near overflowing and needless  to say it was quite filling.  The sauce itself was good, not too salty and not too strong on MSG.  Definitely recommended for a person looking for a big meal.

Overall it was another good experience.  I have to admit I do eat here on a regular basis as you certainly get good value for your dollar.  Other than the smaller than expected portion on the curry chicken, everything else seemed very good. Great place to go if you are looking for a quick meal and drink for a very good price.  I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Ming's Noodle Cafe
3447 Kennedy Road
Scarborough, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment